- Malhotra, P., & Bhattacharyya, S. (2018, June). Large Scale Online Brand Networks to Study Brand Effects. In Thirty-Second AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence.
- Malhotra, P., Bhattacharyya, S., (2020). “Visualizing Asymmetric Cross-Category Brand Associations over Time” – 3rd Round at Journal of Marketing
Summary of paper
Eliciting brand associations in a timely manner is crucial to marketing decisions. Besides the obvious tangible associations of a brand that relate to its physical attributes (e.g. mileage of a car, horsepower), there are another set of intangible associations that the go beyond the functional attributes of a brand and even transcend categories. Having relevant knowledge about across-category associations is critical for a range of marketing decisions such as co-branding, licensing and brand extensions; however, there is little or no research on identifying these cross-category effects using current digital approaches. The authors propose a new, scalable approach for inferring cross-category brand associations over time using implicit brand networks on social media. Asymmetry among brand pairs, in the network, is taken into account to calculate the transcendence of brands onto new categories. The use of network-based constructs allows managers to visualize results at different levels : category-category, brand–category and brand-brand, depending on their marketing objectives. Other practical applications of the brand network are also discussed including competitor analysis and market segmentation..
3. Malhotra, P., Bhattacharyya, S., Zhao, K., (2020) “Information Networks to Derive Value from Social Media” Under review at Management Science.
Accepted at The Americas Conference on Information Systems, Proceeding available at https://aisel.aisnet.org/amcis2020/social_computing/social_computing/9/
4. Zhao, K., Lu, Y., Malhotra, P., (2020) “The Role of Content Similarity in Audience Engagement: Evidence from Live Streaming Platforms” Submission to Information Systems Research (by winter 2020)
5. Malhotra, P., Bhattacharyya, S., (2019) “Branding in the age of social media: A comparison of user-brand relationships in the digital ecosystem” – Work in Progress – Data Analysis Phase